Every week after the latest weekly Union Leader High School Football Power Poll is released, our own Pete Tarrier will reveal his ballot showing who he voted for...and why. Here's the poll after Week 2...
After Week 2
The top 10 high school football teams in New Hampshire, with record, first-place votes/points in parentheses, plus last week’s rankings:
1. Pinkerton, 2-0 (5/59) 1st
2. Bedford, 2-0 (52) 2nd
3. Winnacunnet, 2-0 (1/49) 3rd
4. (tie) Man. Central, 2-0 (39) 5th
4. (tie) Londonderry, 2-0 (39) 6th
6. Plymouth, 2-0 (24) 7th
7. (tie) Merrimack, 2-0 (23) 8th
7. (tie) Salem, 1-1 (23) 4th
9. Exeter, 1-1 (10) 9th
10. Nashua North, 1-1 (4) NR
Others receiving votes: Windham, 1-1 (3), NR; Hanover, 2-0 (3), NR; Campbell, 2-0 (2), 10th.
HERE'S HOW PETE VOTED...
1. Winnacunnet...I'm giving the Warriors the only #1 vote they received from the 6 voters because of their "quality win" in Week 1 win over Division 1 newcomer Windham.
2. Pinkerton...the Astros have been rolling as expected so far, but I have them ranked 2nd behind Winnacunnet because the Warriors have faced tougher competition so far...and they won the head to head matchup in last year's Championship Game.
3. Bedford...the Bulldogs have probably had the toughest schedule of the Top 3 teams on my list so far...and they've been quite impressive in beating Nashua North & Concord.
4. Londonderry...coach Jimmy Lauzon gambled big on a fake punt deep in his own end last Friday vs Salem and it paid off for the 2-0 Lancers. The Mack Plaque game vs Pinkerton looms in 2 weeks.
5. Manchester Central...the Little Green are also 2-0 to start the season and they will take on the #6 team on my ballot this Friday night in a game we'll be covering on video for NHSportspage.
6. Merrimack...the Tomahawks have been surprisingly dominant winning the 1st 2 games of the season and we'll get a true test of just how good they are when Central comes a calling on Friday.
7. Salem...I still have them on my ballot despite the loss vs Londonderry last week. This Blue Devils team lacks the game-breaking explosiveness they had last year with Josh Sibanda, but they make up for it with multiple backs that can make plays.
8. Plymouth...the Bobcats are 2-0 & again looking like a favorite to win a 3rd straight Division 2 title...but they face a juggernaut on Saturday in Dave Haley's Gilford-Belmont Golden Eagles.
9. Hanover...I had St. Thomas in the poll as my #9 team the 1st 2 weeks, but I am dropping the 2-0 Saints out in favor of the Marauders who are also 2-0 with "quality" wins over Kennett & Hollis-Brookline.
10. Campbell...it's pretty obvious this team is 1 of the best in Division 3, along with Monadnock. They play each other in mid-October & I can't wait to cover that game. I think both teams would be playoff contenders in Division 2, but I give Campbell the 10th spot on my ballot as the defending Champs.
Tag(s): Home Article Archives Football NHIAA Division I South Londonderry Pinkerton Salem North Bedford Manchester Central West Nashua North East Winnacunnet NHIAA Division II South North Hanover Plymouth NHIAA Division III Campbell Windham NHIAA Division IV